Healthy Treat? Yes Please!
Who doesn’t love a treat? These Vegan Snicker Bars tastes soooooo good! They even got the thumbs up from my 7 year old and 3 year old! The great thing with these little bars of heaven (apart from tasting stupidly tasty) is that they only have 4 ingredients!
I have to be honest with you guys, I have a real sweet tooth. Which is the main reason I love looking for and trying to develop healthy treat recipes. But staying with the true ethos of The Urban Canteen, the recipes needs to be quick & easy. We all have those days when you fancy an afternoon of baking or trying a new dessert recipe. But what I’m talking about here, is spending minimal time on something delicious that can be knocked up in next to no time, keep for a few days and can fend off those naughty cravings we all get….some more than others.
Do we REALLY need them?
Let’s be honest with one another here. We can sit here and say that we don’t NEED these sweet treats, we should be “healthy” and “just say no”. But this isn’t realistic. We get these cravings for lots of reasons, usually when we’re feeling a bit tired, low on energy and our body is saying help me.So we reach for the chocolate bars and sweet treats as they provide us with this much needed energy burst.
It may be that it is mid afternoon in the office and you need something to get you through the next few hours. That’s when your body is saying “give me some energy” and you hear “feed me some chocolate”. But that’s obviously not a coincidence, these snacks are full of sugar and do give us (temporarily) that burst of energy, otherwise known as a “sugar rush”. If you have other areas of your life controlled i.e. plenty of physical activity, 7-8 hours of sleep every night, varied, healthy diet, then having the odd piece of cake or chocolate bar is not a big deal at all. But generally we’re creatures of habit and we get the hankering for energy around the same time daily. So rather than tell ourselves “no” (which can lead to a slippery slope to Chocville), we just need to get a little creative.
This is where snacks like these Vegan Snicker Bars are an absolute saviour, as well as being beneficial to our health as they contain nutrients that our body can actually use in a positive way rather than being full of empty calories.
This really is such an easy recipe, it only has 4 ingredients!!! That’s right 4! Which means not shopping for lots of different ingredients, which takes a lot of your precious time and more importantly your hard earned money.
- 1 cup of Ground almonds
- 1 cup of Dates
- handful of Peanuts (chop roughly)
- Dark Chocolate 170g bar
- (Peanut Butter and Coconut Oil optional)
- In a food processor, blitz the Almonds and Dates until they form a dough (just keep blitzing, they will eventually form a dough).
- Mix in your roughly chopped Peanuts by hand
- Press into a tin or whatever mould you would like to use. Place in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- This is the optional step-but it really does bring another level to these bars. Melt the Peanut butter in the microwave until runny. Pour over the top of your frozen Date mixture and place back in the freezer for another 30 minutes.
- Take out of mould and cut into bars.
- Melt Chocolate (second optional step-melt 1 teaspoon of coconut oil in with the Chocolate to prevent it from going too hard).
- Dip your bars into the Chocolate, place back in the fridge to set. Then try and not to eat them one after another until they are all gone!
Thank you very much for taking the time to read The Urban Canteen blog. We hope you liked it and give this recipe a go….believe me, you won’t regret it! For more food inspiration check out our Instagram, Twitter and Facebook pages.