Turkey, Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chilli
Sometimes you just need something simple to knock up, something that doesn’t take recipe books or checking online recipes, just a good old “go to” dish that you KNOW will do the job. For me, this is the guy! A Turkey, Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chilli. It has everything you need, awesome source of protein, some ass kickery in the Carbs department, if you top it off with some crushed up avocado you have some great fats in there also…..pass me my macro nutrients sheet so I can tick those boxes!!
Now the great thing about this bad boy is that the preparation is fairly minimal and not difficult at all. Whether or not you can be bothered to knock this up after work on a Monday night is another thing however! This is still a good dish to may be cook on a Sunday afternoon, let it tick away in the background and then before you know it you have a batch of awesome Chilli to either freeze in portions and bring out when required, or you have dinner sorted for the next couple of nights.
Anyone that has cooked chilli before will know that a lot of what you throw into it is down to personal taste and this is no exception. The Urban Canteen recipes can all be altered down to personal preference, we don’t want you to be stressing about putting exactly 100g of this in or 50.3333g of that in. Our recipes are a guide, if you need a little extra of that or a little less of this then that is what you do. Food shouldn’t be rigid, it should be flexible, adaptable (unless it’s a dessert, in that case you stick to that recipe like “white on rice”…..or should I say “brown on rice” as it’s much better for you!), after all everyones tastes are different, so experiment and have fun.
- 1 Red Onion (chopped)
- 3 cloves Garlic (Finely chopped)
- 1 Tbspn Ground Coriander
- 1 Tbspn Ground Cumin
- 2 Tbspn Paprika
- 2 Tbspn Chilli Powder (this is a good place to start, but by all means increase/decrease dependant on personal taste.
- 500g Minced Turkey
- 300g Black Beans (cooked & rinsed)
- 300g Sweetcorn
- 400g Sweet Potato (Peeled and diced into 1cm dice….approx, no need to measure!)
- 2 x 400g tins Chopped Tomatoes
- Handful Chopped Coriander
- Cook off Onions and Garlic with a splash of Rapeseed oil until soft and transparent.
- Now add the Minced Turkey and continue to cook on a medium/high heat until the Turkey has coloured and cooked through.
- Next is all the spices- Cumin, Ground Coriander, Paprika, Chilli Powder. Mix thoroughly and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, stir well, then add the Sweet Potato. You want the mix to be fairly thin so the Sweet Potato has enough liquid to slowly cook. Turn the heat down to a gentle simmer.
- Let the Chilli cook out on a low heat until the Sweet potato has started to soften. Add the Black beans and sweetcorn and continue to simmer for another 20 minutes.
- Serve up, throw on the chopped Coriander from a good height so you look all Chef-like and creative. Top with some Greek Yoghurt (not the 0% fat variety as these usually have a much higher content of sugar). Like Previously mentioned this recipe will give you around 4 generous portions. So you can either portion it up and freeze or devour over a couple of nights.