There’s just something about them
Roasted New/baby Potatoes are awesome as they are, but believe me when I say they are sooooooo much better when you smash them up a bit. Like many recipes on The Urban Canteen, you can adapt them to suit your personal tastes and this one is no different. The flavour I have gone with is Fajita spiced smashed potatoes and it is ridiculously good. But you can use herbs, cajun spice, curry spice, paprika etc, the list is endless.
They’re all good
Not only do these potatoes taste fantastic, they are a great source of Vitamin C. Eating potatoes with their skin on help maintain a higher level of vitamin C within the potato. Peeling potatoes, especially if you do this with a knife and end up cutting away half of the potato means you can lose a lot of this valuable micronutrient.
Keep it simple
There really is no need to parboil these baby potatoes off first. You can bang them straight in the oven and have a hassle-free, delicious bowl of spuds! It really doesn’t save anytime parboiling the potatoes first, in fact, it will probably lengthen the time within this recipe……which is not what we’re about at The Urban Canteen.
Fajita spiced smashed potatoes
- 500 g New/Baby Potatoes
- 2 tbsp Fajita spice
- 1 tbsp Olive oil for cooking potatoes
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 bunch coriander
- 1 cup Olive oil for dressing
- Preheat oven at 185°c
- Place Potatoes into a bowl with the Fajita spice, tbsp of oil and a pinch of Salt & Pepper.
- Give the Potatoes a good mix around, making sure they are will covered with the spice.
- Place in the oven for approximately 25 minutes.
- Whilst they are cooking, throw your garlic, coriander, ½ your cup of oil and a little salt and pepper into a blender and blitz until smooth. Then add the rest of the oil and give it a little mix with a spoon. Set aside for your potatoes.
- After 25 minutes check your potatoes, if they have some give in them and you can push them down with a fork, then remove from the oven. If you can't push them down with a fork (gently) put them back in the oven for another 5 minutes.
- Gently push each potato down with a fork until you see the split open, sprinkle a little more fajita spice on each one with another little drizzle of oil. Then put them back in the oven for another 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, remove them from the oven, place in a serving dish, drizzle with your coriander oil and enjoy!
Like what you see?
If you like the look of this recipe and fancy seeing some more then come and be social, check out The Urban Canteen on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and Youtube. Leave comments, like, share subscribe and be part of an ever growing community. We love hearing from you guys, so get in touch and get social.
Remember to hit the ebook link if you would like a copy of The Urban Canteen ebook that is currently only £1.99! It has 12 delicious recipes including breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks, which can all be adapted.
As always, thank you very much for taking a look #theurbancanteen