Don’t be scared
These might seem like a difficult thing to make, but here’s the good news….THEY’RE NOT! Like anything in life, once you start the process, they suddenly seem really straightforward. You don’t need any specialist equipment, so there really are no excuses…..give these bad boys a go.
Vegan chocolate filled doughnuts
- 250 grams Plain flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 50 gram plantbased butter
- 120 ml plantbased milk
- 1.5 litres sunflower oil
- pinch of salt
- 50 grams caster sugar
- 1 jar hazelnut chocolate spread
- 1 cup sugar mixed with ground cinnamon
- Melt the butter, milk and 2 tbspn of sunflower oil in a small pan over a medium heat. Meanwhile, put the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a bowl. Make a well in the middle, then tip in the melted mixture.
- Gently bring the mixture together with a fork or spoon until it forms a wet, thick dough, then divide and roll into small balls. I got around 12.
- Heat the remaining sunflower oil in a medium-sized deep pan over a high heat. To test if the oil is hot enough, drop a piece of bread into the pan - if the bread floats to the surface, and turns golden, it's about right. Reduce to a medium heat, then use a slotted spoon to carefully lower four or five dough balls into the hot oil. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until golden, cooked through and they've floated to the surface. I like to keep rotating mine so they cook evenly.
- Remove from the oil onto some kitchen towel for a minute. Then roll straight into your cinnamon sugar and coat well.
- Now let them cool down.
- Make a hole in the side of the donut with a skewer, deep enough to reach the centre of the donut. Now put some chocolate and hazelnut spread into a piping bag and pipe into the centre until it comes out of the hole.
Like what you see
If you like the look of these recipes and fancy seeing some more then come and be social, check out The Urban Canteen on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and Youtube. Leave comments, like, share subscribe and be part of an ever-growing community. We love hearing from you guys, so get in touch and get social.
Remember to hit the ebook link if you would like a copy of The Urban Canteen ebook that is currently only £1.99! It has 12 delicious recipes including breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks, which can all be adapted.
As always, thank you very much for taking a look #theurbancanteen.