You really don’t need to be a master baker to knock up the ultimate banging flatbreads with this recipe in your arsenal! Only a handful of ingredients, a few minutes of your time and you are onto a winner.
The great thing with this recipe is that once you have tried the basic flatbread recipe, you are ready to upgrade and take things to the next level. You can add spices, herbs, dried fruit and so much more to incorporate more flavour and tailor it with what your main dish is.
Size isn’t everything……or is it?
Now when thinking about flatbreads, you think about a certain size and shape, a bit like a traditional Pitta bread. But think outside the box a little, try different shape and sizes, but remember when cooking, you will need to flip, so maybe don’t go too crazy!
Oh hey sweet thing!
When thinking about flavours and which ingredients to add, don’t always think savoury. I used these flatbreads to top with grilled peaches and yoghurt, they were soooooooooo good! Don’t just think as a side to a main dish either, these can be used for breakfast or a brunch. Especially as they only take a few minutes to make, you can literally roll out of bed, put the kettle on and start knocking up some flatbreads.
Don’t be shy
Now a lot of people get worried when it comes to baking. They think it will take hours, it will be difficult, you need lots of ingredients or a special oven. Well, this couldn’t be further from the truth, especially with this recipe. It really is simple and you can’t really go that wrong…….trust me!
Sit down, strap in and get ready as I’m about to load you up with the recipe and method. Then you’re going to go to the shop, buy the ingredients, get your booty into the kitchen and give this bad boy a go.
I will give you the basic flatbread recipe as well as a couple of different variations to try. When you come up with your own amazing ideas, just add the ingredients to the basic flatbread recipe and off you go.
Basic Flatbread recipe
- 100g Self Raising Flour
- 2 x tablespoons of natural yoghurt
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Put a large non-stick pan on a medium heat.
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl until a dough has formed. If it feels a little wet then put another tablespoon of flour in.
- Split the dough into two. Roll out the dough on a floured surface, into the desired shape approximately ½cm thick.
- Place in the dry pan, for approximately 3 minutes flipping halfway.
Garlic & Coriander flatbread
- 3 x cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- small bunch of fresh coriander
- Make the basic dough as above (Up to step 2).
- Add in two-thirds of the garlic and two-thirds of the coriander into the dough and mix well until it is all incorporated.
- Mix the remaining garlic and coriander into your olive oil and put two one side.
- Continue as per the steps above in the basic flatbread recipe, roll out and cook the flatbreads.
- Once cooked, brush the flatbreads with your garlic and coriander oil and allow to absorb.
Lemon & Sultana Flatbreads
- 1 x Lemon
- 1 x cup of Sultanas
- Make the dough as per the basic flatbread recipe.
- Use a grater, zester, microplane etc to zest the lemon and add to the dough, along with the cup of sultanas.
- Roll out and cook as per the basic recipe, try topping with some grilled fruit and yoghurt for a tasty brunch.
As always guys, thank you very much for stopping by to take a look at this recipe. I sincerely hope you give this a go. It is so simple and seriously tasty, definitely a recipe to play around with and experiment. If you liked this recipe then check out The Urban Canteen on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.