Get in the good books
Starting someone’s day by making them breakfast in bed is always a pretty awesome thing to do. Whether it is a special occasion or you just want to make them feel special, everybody loves being brought some breakfast.
So I thought I would give you 5 ideas on how to up your game when it comes to choosing what to deliver.
On a side note. if you’re the person that would love some breakfast in bed, then simply give them a subtle hint by sending them a link to this post…..ha ha…..subtle as a brick!
Key lime smoothie bowl
This is such a zingy, fresh-tasting smoothie bowl, it’s the perfect wake me up that you just can’t resist. Perfect for the fruit lover in your life that loves a bit of tang!
Key Lime smoothie bowl
- 2 frozen bananas freeze 2 bananas overnight
- 1 cup frozen mango
- ½ cup diced cucumber
- ½ avocado
- 1 kiwi
- ½ green apple any variety
- 1 handful baby spinach a generous handful
- 1 lime-zest and juice keep the zest and the juice separate
- 1 tbsp Vanilla protein Optional if you would like extra protein
- ½ cup coconut yoghurt
- 1 tbsp shaved fresh coconut use desiccated if you don't have fresh
- ½ kiwi
- any other of your favourite toppings e.g. granola, quinoa puffs, nuts, seeds.
- Make sure your frozen banana is cut up into chunks before placing it in the blender. If your frozen banana is really solid when removing it from the freezer, leave it for 10 minutes before blending.
- In the blender, you can put in your frozen banana, frozen mango and the juice of the lime. Blend these until smooth and combined.
- Now add your avocado, cucumber, apple, kiwi, vanilla protein if you choose (but this is just optional) and spinach and blend until smooth. If it is too thick to blend you can thin the mixture down ever so slightly, with some coconut water or coconut milk.
- Once blended, spoon into a bowl (it should be nice and thick), add a spoonful of the coconut yoghurt on top and sprinkle with the lime zest.
- At this point, if you'd like to add any of your favourite toppings, feel free.
Raspberry, Vanilla & Coconut overnight oats
A bit of secret preparation the night before and breakfast in bed doesn’t get any easier!
Raspberry & Vanilla overnight oats
- 2 cup oats
- 2 cup coconut water
- 2 cup greek yoghurt or yoghurt of preference
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 cups frozen raspberries
- 1 tbsp vanilla protein powder if you don't have protein powder you can use a vanilla yoghurt instead of greek.
- 1 handful fresh or frozen raspberries
- 4 squares dark chocolate-chopped
- any other favourite toppings you desire
- The great thing with this recipe is that apart from the topping ingredients, you're going to throw everything else in together and mix. But this needs to be made the evening before.
- So mix all the ingredients together until well combined. Don't worry if the frozen raspberries aren't really well mixed in, as these are nice swirled through. You want the mix to be fairly runny as it will thicken overnight. Cover the bowl and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, if the mix is really thick, just loosen the mixture with another spoon of yoghurt. Divide the mix into bowls, put on your raspberries and dark chocolate on top and enjoy.
Scrambled Egg, Spinach & Feta bowl
This is such an amazing breakfast, high in protein and can be adapted if you would like to add extras such as toast, avocados, pesto etc.
Scrambled egg and feta bowl
- 6 each eggs whisked together
- 200 grams feta
- 2 handfuls baby spinach
- 1 bunch spring onions
- 150 grams cherry tomatoes
- Place a pan on a medium to high heat.
- Drizzle a little oil in the pan and fry your cherry tomatoes and spring onions for 30 seconds until the tomatoes start to soften.
- Add your eggs, mix continuously so the egg doesn’t catch and start to burn. Once the egg has started to scramble, remove from the heat and keep mixing.
- Season with salt & pepper. Put a handful of baby spinach leaves on a plate, place your eggs on top. Crumble your feta cheese over the egg and serve.
How about starting your morning with a bit of spice! This is one of my favourites, super high in protein with a great source of healthy fats and carbohydrates. Serving this in the morning is a sure-fire way to start your day as an absolute hero!
- 2 each eggs
- 400g tin black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 each Avocado chopped roughly
- 2 each tortilla wrap
- 200g feta
- 1 each lime
- hot sauce depending on how fiery you are!
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over a high heat. Add the tortilla and fry for 1-2 mins on each side until crisping at the edges. Transfer to a plate
- Crack the egg into the pan and cook to your liking. Meanwhile, tip the beans into a bowl, season and add a squeeze of lime, then lightly mash with a fork.
- Spread the beans over the tortilla, top with the egg, avocado, feta and chilli sauce. Squeeze over a little more lime juice just before eating and enjoy.
Lemon & Sultana Pancakes
Who doesn’t love pancakes!! This is a simple mix that literally takes minutes to make. The addition of the lemon and sultanas makes these pancakes a winner every time.
Lemon & Sultana pancakes
- 2 each eggs
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 each lemon
- 1 handful sultanas
- pinch salt
- Place the flour, eggs, salt and milk into a bowl and whisk until the batter is free from any lumps.
- Zest the lemon using a microplane or the fine side on a grater, add the zest to the pancake batter. Now add the sultanas and mix well.
- Place pan on a medium to high heat with a splash of oil. Add a ladle full of batter to the pan and cook for two minutes until you start seeing little bubbles appear. Flip the pancake over and cook for a further two minutes until the pancakes are nicely browned.
- Serve immediately, simply with some butter or how about earning some extra points by topping them with yoghurt and berries.
Like what you see
If you like the look of these recipes and fancy seeing some more then come and be social, check out The Urban Canteen on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and Youtube. Leave comments, like, share subscribe and be part of an ever-growing community. We love hearing from you guys, so get in touch and get social.
Remember to hit the ebook link if you would like a copy of The Urban Canteen ebook that is currently only £1.99! It has 12 delicious recipes including breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks, which can all be adapted.
As always, thank you very much for taking a look #theurbancanteen