So the base for this epic vegan pasta carbonara is the same as the Macaroni cheese. This recipe is so quick and easy, you’ll be knocking it up in minutes.
How do you like yours?
So I always add fresh Thyme to my Carbonara sauce as it works so well. I strongly suggest you give it a go, you won’t regret it!
This recipe is a generous portion for two people, if you are serving with some salad and maybe some garlic bread, you could probably stretch it to 3-4 people…..unless you are really greedy like me, then it’s still only enough for two!
- 200g Button mushrooms (sliced)
- 4 crushed garlic cloves
- 300g Spaghetti
- 140g raw cashews
- Soak your Cashews in boiled water from a kettle for 10 minutes.
- Cook your Spaghetti as per the instructions on the packet, in salted water.
- Drain your pasta and put to one side, making sure to keep the cooking water in a measuring jug.
- Drain the cashews and place into a blender, add 300mls of the water you cooked the pasta in, along with half of your crushed garlic. Blend until smooth.
- Add some salt and pepper and check the taste. If it is too thick add a little more pasta water (it should be the thickness of double cream).
- Fry off the other half of your crushed garlic in a little oil for 1 minute. Add your sliced Mushrooms and some chopped Thyme ( a good handful will do the job), fry until the mushrooms have started to brown slightly.
- Add your cashew sauce, remove from the heat and mix in your pasta. If it needs thinning down add a little more of your pasta water. Check the seasoning again.
- Serve into a bowl, add some parmesan cheese (or vegan alternative), some black pepper and enjoy.
Like what you see?
If you like the look of this vegan recipe and fancy seeing some more then come and be social and check out The Urban Canteen on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and Youtube. Leave comments, like, share subscribe and be part of an ever growing community. We love hearing from you guys, so get in touch and get social.
As always, thank you very much for taking a look #theurbancanteen