It’s just too good
Who doesn’t like Ice-cream? Surely nobody is raising their hand right now saying “me”!! It’s so darn good, whether you’re a “Raspberry Ripple” kinda guy, “Chocolate Chip” type of gal or a “Natural Vanilla” purist, there is something for everyone. If you are anything like me, there is no way at all you’re going for a “1 scoop” or even a “2 scoop” bowl, “pile it up” is my motto when it come to that sweet, frozen miracle we call ice-cream. But after it’s been devoured, you are rubbing your tummy saying “what did I do”, you are also thinking to yourself “I shouldn’t have done that” or ” well that’s another 45 minutes on the treadmill tomorrow”. Well not anymore…..welcome Nice-cream!
Praise the Nice-cream gods
Your frozen dessert prayers have been answered and it come in the form of frozen Bananas. Yes you read that right, frozen Bananas! Below I am going to give you three recipes for “Nice-cream”, which is an extremely healthy version of the good stuff we love so much. The great thing about this is that the possibilities really are endless, what ever flavour is your favourite, you will be able to make it. It is so quick and easy you won’t be able to help yourself but make more and more.
Keep it natural
The great thing with these recipes is that because the base ingredients is Banana, you’ll want to keep the rest of the ingredients as natural as possible so it stays a “healthy recipe”. To add sweetness into mine, I have been adding dates, for Chocolate varieties- it has been Cacao, then there is all the berry varieties, you really will be challenging yourself to come up with something new!
The three recipes that I am going to start you off with, I believe, has something for everyone. Now they aren’t really the basic everyday flavours, but let’s face it, as soon as you see how easy this is, the basic flavours can be knocked up in a flash. This is why I wanted to start you off with something a little different, hopefully inspiring you to try something a little different.
So as mentioned, the base for all Nicecreams is frozen Bananas. I cut up 3 bananas into chunks, place in a sandwich ziplock bag and freeze, so whenever I want to make some, I can just pull a bag out of the freezer and I’m good to go. I usually wait for around 10-15 minutes just to let the bananas soften ever so slightly, as when they first come out of the freezer they can be rather solid.
Beetroot & Berry
This may sound a little bit crazy, but Beetroot has a natural sweetness that lends itself really well to a dessert. It is really refreshing also, I am confident that you will enjoy this.
- 3 frozen Bananas
- 1 cup of Mixed frozen Berries
- 2 teaspoon of Beetroot powder
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon Maple Syrup
- Doesn’t get much easier, throw all your ingredients into a food processor and blitz until all the ingredients are well combined and silky smooth.
- Check for sweetness, if it is a bit tart for you then add a little more Maple syrup. You could always leave out the syrup until it is blitzed, check to see if you require any at all due to the sweetness of the beetroot, if you do then add some and blitz again for another 20 seconds.
- When it is done, it will be similar to “Mr Whippy consistency, if you are wanting to eat it immediately then you are done. If you would like to ball it up, then I suggest you place it in a plastic container, and put back into the freezer for another hour or so to solidify a little more.
Matcha and Pistachio
This is something a little different, but tastes so good! Matcha Green Tea is sooooo beneficial for your health it’s ridiculous. It is high in antioxidants, it is loaded with Catechin-one specific catechin called epigallocatechin gallate (EGCg)makes up 60% of the catechins in Matcha Green Tea. Out of all the antioxidants, EGCg is the most widely recognised for its cancer fighting properties. It can Enhance calm, boost memory and concentration, increase levels of energy and endurance, the list goes on and on. You may like this flavour you may hate it, but it has to be worth a go….surely.
- 3 frozen Bananas
- 2 teaspoons of Matcha Green Tea
- ½ cup of Pistachios
- teaspoonVanilla essence
- 8 pitted Dates
- Place the Pistachios into the food processor and blitz until you have the consistency you are happy with. I like them fairly chunky to give a more textured Nice-cream. Once done, take them out of the processor and put to one side.
- Place your Bananas, Vanilla, Dates and Matcha into the food processor and blitz until all the ingredients are well combined and you have a silky ice-cream consistency.
- Empty into a container, add the pistachios and gently mix around so the nuts go through the mixture thoroughly.
- Place back into the freezer for a minimum of an hour to harden, then enjoy the many benefits of Matcha.
Chocolate and Banana
You can’t go wrong with this one. If you have children that like ice-cream then they will love this, the great thing is, you don’t have to feel bad giving it to them either as it is so healthy. The Banana obviously comes through naturally in this recipe given the base ingredient, but if you wanted to add nuts, mint essence, marshmallows etc than they can just be added to this recipe.
- 3 frozen Bananas
- teaspoon of Vanilla essence
- 8 pitted dates
- 3 teaspoons of Cacao Powder
- Again, it doesn’t get much easier. Throw all the ingredients into a food processor. Blitz until they are well combined and you have a silky ice-cream consistency. Have a taste, if you want it sweeter, as Cacao can be bitter, then add some more dates or Maple Syrup. If you want it a bit richer then add more Cacao until you are happy.
As always, your comments, questions or general enquiries are welcome as we love hearing from you guys. Check out our Instagram page (link on the home page of this website) for other recipes or ideas.