Who doesn’t love a good curry?
Butternut squash, coconut & chickpea
Does it have to be these ingredients? Absolutely not, feel free to try alternative veggies like Potato, Sweet Potato, Peppers, Broccoli, Sweetcorn etc.
As mentioned at the start this is suitable for vegans nut I have also reduced the fat/oil content of this recipe. Typically in curries a large amount of oil is used at the start when cooking the paste and main ingredient. By reducing the oil used and replacing it with a splash of water, we have cut down the calorie content of this dish considerable.
- 1 onion
- 1 Butternut Squash (peeled and deseeded)
- 3 cloves of Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons Turmeric
- heaped tablespoon Tikka spice (hotter or milder spice depending on your preference)
- 4 cm length of fresh Ginger
- 400ml can Coconut Milk
- 400g can Chickpeas
- 300ml Vegetable stock
- Chop your onions fairly small (or chunky if you like a mouthful of onion) along with your garlic.
- Peel and chop your Ginger into small pieces also.
- Put a large frying pan onto a medium to high heat and drizzle in a dessertspoonful of oil.
- Add your onions, ginger and garlic and fry for around 2 minutes until they have just started to soften but not colour.
- Add in your Cinnamon, Turmeric and Curry spice and mix. You may notice that your mix will be very dry at this point, add a cup full of water to the pan and make a wet paste.
- Add your Butternut squash and cook for 3-4 minutes so the squash is well coated in the spices.
- Now add your vegetable stock and allow to gently simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- After this add your coconut milk, reduce the heat so the curry is gently simmering and cook until the squash is cooked through (if you can easily push a knife through the squash
thenit is cooked).
- Add your chickpeas and cook for a further 2-3 minutes, add some seasoning and served with some rice.
Like what you see?
If you like the look of this recipe and fancy seeing some more then come and be social, check out The Urban Canteen on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and Youtube. Leave comments, like, share subscribe and be part of an ever growing community. We love hearing from you guys, so get in touch and get social.
As always, thank you very much for taking a look #theurbancanteen